RE: TR-6 Differential

To: <MD.FEED@nwh.org>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 Differential
From: "Brooks Bullock" <airsmyth@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:12:58 -0500
It has always been my understanding that the first pinion ever installed
along with the original bearings+ an approximate .002" amount of bearing
wear, is the mirror of the Dummy Pinion dimension.
In other words with the original pinion installed, the dimension between the
(A)Pinion head face and the (B)bottom of the crown wheel carrier should
remain the same for the new Pinion depth setting except for differences
recorded(stamped) by the manufacturer on the Pinion face + or - .xxx". The
gear set that I currently have has stamped as a checking distance of .004"
which I interpret as adding .004" to my determined A to B dimension if it
had a -.004 I would interpret that as decreasing the A to B dimension by
adding that much more shim to my Pinion Shim. Of course always verify the
final assy. by the meshing pattern.

Hope that others will chime in for any additions to Ideas,techniques or
corrections.

Brooks(Atlanta)