RE: More TR3 stuff going on....

To: "Ron Easterly" <magician@usol.com>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More TR3 stuff going on....
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:37:02 -0800
> Now I have another problem...Battery isn't charging.......what can I do to
> check (without special equiptment) to find out what's going
> on?.......Possibly
> the generator or voltage regulator I figure...Is there a simple test?

The classic on-car generator test is to remove the two wires to the
generator, connect them together and connect a voltmeter from the junction
to ground.  Start the engine and watch the voltmeter.  The voltmeter should
reach 12v by 1000 rpm.  Don't let it go over 20v.  If this passes, the
problem is most likely in the regulator.  It's easiest to do this test first
at the regulator (ie pulling the generator wires off the D and F terminals),
but if it fails, you should repeat the test directly at the generator
terminals to be sure it's not the wires that are bad.

The regulator is a bit more difficult to test, but perhaps 80% of the
failures can be found by checking the resistance between the D and F
terminals with the wires disconnected.  It should be under 1 ohm.

>        And....the other problem is when I first depress the
> clutch, it goes
> down fine, then there's nothing...
> it feels as if it wasn't even connected...The resevoier is full
> and I see no
> leaks...
> Any suggestions ?

When you bleed the slave, do you get fluid under pressure ?  If not, the MC
may be airlocked, try loosening the outlet fitting and pushing the pushrod
in by hand.  If you still don't get anything, you're probably looking at a
MC rebuild.  There's a spring inside that sometimes breaks.

Randall