speaking of leaking

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: speaking of leaking
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:56:55 -0500
Subject:  New Master Cylinder for GT6.
Event:  I installed, bled, walked away, came back 4 hrs later.
Result:  Several ounces of Brake Fluif had leaked all over the
Bulkhead, dripped down onto the Frame, puddled on the Garage Floor
(along with the residual Engine Oils, Tranny Fluif, etc.) and
generally made a Mess.
Mental state:  Pissed.
Cause:  The O-ring that seals (or in this case, didn't) the Reservoir
against the Metal Body on the front-most of the two Intake Holes was
weeping slowly.
Response:  Rather than call Spitbits immediately, I took the MC back
out of the car and removed the Reservoir.  The O-ring seemed to be
too small, coming up sufficiently past the top of the Metal but of
insufficient Diameter to seal against the Sides of the Groove wherein
it was contained.  The only Seal between the O-ring and the Metal was
along the Bottom of Groove, but since the Bottom of the Groove is
chamfered, it didn't work very well.  However the O-ring from the
older, pitted-inside MC was larger and fit the Groove quite nicely.
I re-installed the Reservoir with the older O-ring, and re-bled.  So
far it seems to be holding its Beer, err, I mean Brake Fluif.  I'm
holding the beer.
Loss:  Paint (fortunately not of pristine Quality) from the Bulkhead
and Frame.  One bottle of BF.  Good mood.  Time I intended to use
tweaking the carbs.

One of these days I'll get the GT6 back on the road.  With a bit of
luck it will be before the snow falls...

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com