Re: >>NASS head liner side boards? and rear axle bearing spacing

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: >>NASS head liner side boards? and rear axle bearing spacing
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:48:58 -0500
What I've noticed (on this first side anyway....)
the outer seal was just barely riding on the edge of
the hub.

I measured the distance from the flinger to the shaft
end (spec 5.74"-5.76") and it was at 5.92" and yet was snug
(but not touching) the back of the bearing housing.

Does this suggest that the p.o. had driven the housing/bearing
on the axle too far?

After looking at the spare axles I have here.... I notice a tapered
area where the flinger rides and the inner bearing polished area.
If it's on too far it explains why it's so tight on the axle.
What's the best way to pull the housing off the axle without
damaging the housing?

Paul Tegler
wizardz@toad.net
www.teglerizer.com