TR4 transmission advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 transmission advice
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:48:24 -0800
Hi everyone,

De-lurking again briefly.  Still piloting my (t)rusty 1962 TR4 around town,
the engine is strong aside from a mysterious squeak (water pump?
alternator?) - but the transmission, sadly, is not.

I pulled it out and replaced the layshaft and bearings this summer.  Now, it
has developed a vibration / roar at 45MPH and faster.  I dare not take it
past 55.

Anyone heard of this?  Anyone in the Pacific Northwest (Southwest for
Canadians) with a spare Big TR transmission lying in the garage?  I wouldn't
mind having a spare regardless, though I don't have much bargaining power at
the moment.

I'd also be interested to hear about other-car conversion kits, if they are
possible / economical / beneficial.  I do like the big 4-speed, but maybe
there's a Toyota or Volvo 5-speed that is a direct drop in.  Ha ha.

-Malcolm
 '62 TR4 CT10339L