RE: Blue smoke and good compression

To: "triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blue smoke and good compression
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:02:44 -0500
On 19 Nov 2002 at 13:28, R. Ashford Little II wrote:

> I am still getting the blue smoke at rpm's that exceed 4k.  This is much
> worse when I let off the gas as vacuum increases.

I hate to backtrack on something I posted earlier, but there is a new
piece of info in your note.  (I wonder how many other folks here have
considered it?)

I may be wrong (as is often the case), but bad rings would produce
more smoke when you back off the throttle at speed.  This might
typically happen when you shift up, or when you downshift to
deccelerate.  Anyway, the point is that running at high rpm's with
throttle open is different from with throttle closed.  (Note the
double-preposition construction.  That's quite rare.  And probably
illegal in the Queen's English, let alone Tolkien's.  But I betcha'
George Dubya wouldn't mind!)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com