RE: Blue smoke and good compression

To: "triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blue smoke and good compression
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:12:03 -0500
On 20 Nov 2002 at 9:22, Dave Massey wrote:
> Message text written by "Jim Muller"
> >I may be wrong (as is often the case), but bad rings would produce
> >more smoke when you back off the throttle at speed.
> Interesting.  I always thought that bad rings resulted in smoke under load
> (heavy throttle) where blowby was the worst.

Thanks for the reply, Dave.  Umm, I did say that I might be wrong.  I
always thought that oil smoke wasn't so much the product of blowby as
lack of oil scavenging off the cylinder walls by the rings.  This
would be worse when the engine was spinning fast but with little
active combustion.  After all, engine braking has to come from
something.  But then, I'm not an engine and I don't play one on TV.
(I have been a rocket scientist, but not a politician.)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com