Re: GT6/TR7 transmission

To: "INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com" <ZoboHerald@aol.com>
Subject: Re: GT6/TR7 transmission
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:56:43 -0500
Cc: TR8 List <TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAKK1tq2012157
Message text written by INTERNET:ZoboHerald@aol.com
>They're close, Dave. The TR7 ratios are basically identical to that of the
GT6.
>However, GT6s all used the "three-rail" gearbox, while the TR7 used the
>"Marina" or "single-rail" gearbox (as did the 1975 and later Spitfires,
albeit with
>different ratios).

Thanks for the info.  I guess the real question is can it be used in this
application.

>Someone else is going to have to enlighten you (and me) on input shaft
>lengths, diameters and number of splines as well as interchangeability of
>bellhousings to suit Spitfire (LH side starter) v. GT6 (RH side starter)
and other
>details.

Indeed, the bell housing would have to be swapped and that is another
important factoid.  It's beginning to sound like it is not a straight swap
and thus he will have to focus his search for the GT6 box.  Too bad as the
TR7 box should be much easier to find.

Thanks

Dave