RE: Emission Control

To: "'Eric Conrad'" <conrade2@MSN.COM>, "'Tim Hutchisen'" <hakhutch@megalink.net>, "'Hugh Fader'" <hfader@usa.net>, "'Graham McMicken'" <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Control
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:18:16 -0500
Eric,
You are absolutely correct. Having removed the hideous mess from 3 75
Tr6s I've noticed no reduction in gas mileage, but by the same token, no
seat-of-the-pants noticeable difference in performance. All mechanical
and electrical devices take some power to operate, so there is probably
some small HP gain by removing the pump and the other mess that goes
with it. There is also a very small gain made from the reduction in
weight and I would think the exhaust should flow better without the air
tubes protruding into the exhaust ports.
The amount of environmental damage done by a well tuned smogless 75/76
TR6
vs the smoged ones has to be insignificant.

My $.02,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

Tim, et al,
With all due respect, I have to take issue with your comments regarding
the
air pump.  Having restored a '76 TR6 to as close to original as
possible, I
can confidently say that the air pump did not introduce fresh air into
the
cylinder.  Rather, it introduced fresh air into the exhaust manifold to
allow full burning of any fuel vapor or hydrocarbons escaping the
cylinder.
This is why the exhaust manifold temperatures of an engine with an air
pump
is much higher than those cars without the air pump.

I have disabled my air pump by removing the belt and adding a new
(fresh)
check valve to keep the exhaust fumes from heading back toward the
emission
control equipment.  The TR6 runs better, and a little leaner (better gas
mileage) with the air pump disabled.  Also, to address a comment by Hugh
Fader, the fan belt running the air pump is a very short belt.  The
beauty
is that it only runs the air pump, so removing it doesn't affect any
other
engine components.

I will entertain comments counter to my feelings.

Eric
'76 TR6  (CF52678U)