Re: Emission Control

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>, "'Graham McMicken'" <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Emission Control
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:02:15 -0500
Graham, Hugh & Listers-

    The air pump will _not_rob valuable horsepower a whole lot. It's job is
to provide fresh air into the cylinder to help the burn of hydrocarbons and
carbon monoxides. It helps in the efficiency of the flame front inside the
cylinder. (Read: better fuel economy). It also reduces the temperature
inside the cylinder. So...
remove the air injection system if you want to:
1.) pollute the atmosphere more 2.) get worse fuel economy 3.) shorten the
life of your engine and  4.) create _more_drivability problems due to rich
A/F mixture.

    Hugh was correct in his interpretation of the crankcase breathing
system. It does not have any negating affects on the engine. The carbon
cannister should not be removed as it only collects and purges gasoline
vapors back into the engine to be reburned. This results in you smelling
better upon arrival to your destination, (you don't smell like gasoline) and
the PCV system gives you better fuel economy.

    Removing emissions systems usually result in an increase of drivability
problems and decreased fuel economy as a whole. It is a false perception
that these systems rob horsepower. It was the lower compression ratios that
robbed the horsepower through the 70's, not the emission systems. Lower
compression ratios were the easiest way to meet the strict emission mandates
set in the decade of disco. The engineering had not caught up with the
mandates at the time in regards to cleaner running engines.

Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
80 TR7 Spider