RE: Emission Control

To: Mickylong@aol.com, 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Emission Control
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:16:31 -0500
Hi Mickey. I don't think the temperature switch could cause your problem. I
believe the function of the switch is to disable the vacuum retard when the
engine is hot. This has the effect of advancing the spark and therefore the
idle speed and therefore the fan speed. It's supposed to keep the engine
cooler. Of course advancing the spark makes the engine run hotter. Maybe not
as hot?

I have the entire vacuum retard system disconnected with no ill effect. I
think this is a common thing to do. You will probably want to adjust your
spark timing if you do this.

Now what about the vacuum hoses that go to the valve cover and the canister?
That's what I'm trying to get right on mine. I know the engine won't run
right with it partially in place.

Hugh Fader
72 TR6 also