Re: emissions stuff

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: emissions stuff
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:42:18 -0000
Hi Jim and others
I don't know the validity of this but I have been lead to believe that a
major part of any cars pollution cycle happens during its manufacture and
destruction into a new Honda etc at the end of its life. I do believe in
keeping my cars clean and although most of my vehicles have fallen outside
of the UK emissions testing strategy I always have them sniffed as it is a
good opportunity to make sure they are as clean as possible, it also helps
in the occasional debate with an ill educated youth (most locally seem to
have been brainwashed that all old cars are extreme polluters, but neglect
to notice the blue plumes coming from the ten year old car owned by their
parents!) to be able to say "my car has just passed the same test as would
be required on a much newer car!"
Why is it that cars which blow blue can pass an MOT and still take to the
road despite being gross polluters?

Graham.