RE: emissions stuff

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: emissions stuff
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:02:17 -0800
Jim Muller wrote :

> I don't recall advocating flouting emissions laws!

Well technically, any modifications to anything that affects emissions
(including carburetors and exhaust systems) that are not EPA approved, are a
violation of federal law.  This includes things like removing the belt from
even a non-functioning air pump ... or driving a 'federal' GT6 that has SU
carbs.

The thing that has always irritated me about this law is that it includes
modifications to reduce emissions !  I've felt for some time that if it were
legal to do so, fuel injection retrofits would be much more popular (and
much cheaper) than they are.  Better fuel economy, better performance, lower
emissions ... how can that be bad ?  Yet it's illegal ...

Randall