Re: emissions stuff

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: emissions stuff
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:50:55 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAP3ulv6005691
Message text written by "Graham Stretch"
>I don't know the validity of this but I have been lead to believe that a
>major part of any cars pollution cycle happens during its manufacture and
>destruction into a new Honda etc at the end of its life.

I hadn't thought about that but I have heard (read) that it takes as much
energy to make a car as it will consume in its lifetime.  Which means if we
really want to censerve energy (and reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere) we
should keep them on the road.  (Of course the car manufacturers don't want
to hear that)  Whether that translates to more pollution depends on how
clean the plant is.  But considering how clean cars are and how dirty some
power plants can be...

Cheers, Dave