Need Ebay knowledge

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need Ebay knowledge
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:45:04 -0500
I understand how Ebay works as an auction. However I have seen many objects
in the TR6 category that are clearly people selling new items that they are
themselves manufacturing. How does this fit into the auction mechanism?

For example, the gentleman selling the tube shock conversion for $90 on his
web site is also listing it in Ebay. His reserve is $90. This has presently
4 bidders and the reserve is labelled has having been met with the present
bid at $90. So did the first 3 people bid less than the reserve (pointless).
The same goes for the maker of Triumph cuff links at $7.99 and clocks
(forget price).

Why would I bid $90.01 when I know that he wishes to sell as many kits as he
can (by the way it looks like a nice kit) at $90.

Perhaps I am being obtuse here, but could somebody explain the mechanism at
play? Surely I am not supposed to wait for days for one set to be sold at
the "reserve" price and then hope to be the next in line to bid the actual
sale price. Seems odd.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6 (in need of a tube conversion) ;^)