RE: Need Ebay knowledge

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Need Ebay knowledge
From: "St.John, Kenneth" <ken.stjohn@hexcel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:03:19 -0800
The first rule of E-bay, or swap meets, or pawn shops, etc, is KNOW WHAT
IT'S WORTH.

Also, I think for some, E-bay is a good method of advertising.

As to reserve auctions, they're not my favorite, but I understand them, and
I've even placed them.  For example, I've been trying to sell a Spitfire
head.  I have $400 into it and would like to get as much back as possible,
say $300.  If I put a starting bid at $300, most people won't even look.
But if I start it at $100, or $50, with a $300 reserve, people may start
bidding.  My observation has been that auctions can generate a momentum that
carries the price farther than it normally would go (and as a seller, that's
what I want.)  The $300 reserve protects me in case this doesn't happen.
But maybe bidding goes to $280.  I can accept the bid.  There is nothing
dishonest about it.

Again - know what you're bidding on.  (By the way, a rebuilt Mk II head is
somewhere around $700 I believe.)

My opinion!

Ken St.John
'74 Spitfire 1500 "Lil Red"