auto choke zs 175 carbs 80 tr7

To: "INTERNET:lstein6@earthlink.net" <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Subject: auto choke zs 175 carbs 80 tr7
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:13:43 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gATGLfv6031700
Message text written by INTERNET:lstein6@earthlink.net
>i am stumped on the new car already...  the p.o. told me that the auto
choke was disconnected because it caused the car to idle too high.  i
played
with the car today, got the air filter assembly removed.  i can't for the
life
of me find this 'auto choke'. <

Larry, I belive this car has what is called a "FASD" (Fully Automatic
Starting Device).  This is a mini carburettor that provides an additional
flow of extra rich fuel/air mixture to aid in cold starting and running.
There is a wax bulb that is temperature sensitive that shuts it off when
the coolant reaches operating temperature.  It resides inbetween the carbs
but more towards one than the other.  The air supply comes from the air
cleaner assembly and is intorduced into one of the carbs.

I don't own onw but I've heard that these things are notoriously failure
prone.  Many folks fit up a manual operator to alleviate problems with the
wax bulb not working right and I have seen one that would leak air all the
time.  Open or closed.  The problem here was that the additional air (no
fuel when it was in the closed position, just air) would lean out the carbs
to the point that the car would fail emissions.  Putting a rubber stopper
in the air inlet curred that problem.  The new problem was that there was
no starter device and cold starts were difficult.

I don't know what the PO did to disable the "choke"* but this is certainly
a possibility.

There are folks on the wedge list that are more knowledgable about these
things than I and I suggest you pose your question there.

Cheers and congrats on your acquisition.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8