Hot Tank/De-rust TR3 Block

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot Tank/De-rust TR3 Block
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:06:26 GMT
     It's starting to look like I'll be tearing down my TR3 engine over the
winter. It hasn't had major work on the lower engine since the 1970's.
     How important is it to derust the water passages around the wet liners?
Most TR blocks that I have seen are very scaled up in these areas. I was
thinking of sending my block to a Redi-strip place in Vancouver to have all
rust electrolically removed. The block would come back bare shiney metal with
no metal loss. I would then use something like Eastwood's Glyptol or something
to paint the exposed metal area inside the lower block.
     Am I wasting my time? What do other listers do about this area when they
tear down a wet liner engine?

     Bill Brewer
     Having Thanksgiving in Marin,
California