upgrades vs. originality

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: upgrades vs. originality
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:37:51 -0400
There are two sides to this debate. Here's where I'm at: My car is pretty
nice and I try to keep it correct. I've added a Crane ignition box, because
the car eats points. It has a front spoiler from a later car, because I
like the look. It likewise has a Moto-lita steering wheel. It does not have
an overdrive gearbox. Do I want one? Well, the Heritage certificate says my
car never had one, so I can do without. Redlines? No, thanks.

They built 90,000 TR6s. Am I upset with Dan Masters for putting a V-8 in
his car? No, he's done a real nice job and I applaud his ingenuity. Do I
think someone should put a Hemi in an alloy-panel long-door TR2? Boy, I
hope that never happens.

There's rarity and collectibility and there's originality. Both have to be
respected, but it's my car.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (26 year owner)