How much vapor is too much?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How much vapor is too much?
From: Steve Palmisano <spalmisa@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:06:12 -0400
Hi all,

   I have a '72 TR6 That I have been diagnosing a oil consumption problem
on and have come across an anomaly (I think). While looking at a possible
blow-by condition, I am now venting the valve cover into a plastic bottle
under the hood. My thought was that if this was blow-by I would accumulate
oil in the bottle (There is a very steady vapor stream from the valve cover
vent when running after 5 minutes or so).

Instead of oil I am getting water. About 5-6 tablespoons after 40 minutes
(35 miles) of driving. Is this a concern? Should there bee any water from
this vent? Am I seeing the evidence of a head gasket problem or is this a
natural occurrence? Oil in the pan is dark but not milky like you would see
if there was water in the oil. Radiator may be down slightly but not enough
for me to think it was an issue on its own merit.

Presure test (dry) on all six have pressure in the low 140's with the
exception of #4. It ran 115 dry and 148 wet. No blue smoke.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Steve P
'72 TR6