RE: How much vapor is too much?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How much vapor is too much?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:38:36 -0700
>    I have a '72 TR6 That I have been diagnosing a oil consumption problem
> on and have come across an anomaly (I think). While looking at a possible
> blow-by condition, I am now venting the valve cover into a plastic bottle
> under the hood. My thought was that if this was blow-by I would
> accumulate
> oil in the bottle (There is a very steady vapor stream from the
> valve cover
> vent when running after 5 minutes or so).
>
> Instead of oil I am getting water. About 5-6 tablespoons after 40 minutes
> (35 miles) of driving.

IMO, what you are seeing is, in fact, blow-by.  Water is a normal product of
the combustion process, the only reason you don't see steam coming out the
tailpipe is because it's too hot.  In fact, it's not uncommon to see water
running out the tailpipe from cold engines.  So, you're getting significant
amounts of exhaust gas in the crankcase and the water is condensing on it's
way to your catch bottle.

> Presure test (dry) on all six have pressure in the low 140's with the
> exception of #4. It ran 115 dry and 148 wet.

That would seem to pretty clearly say most of your problem is in #4.  Bad
rings, maybe even one broken, or a damaged cylinder wall.

> No blue smoke.

I've seen that with my own Triumphs, not sure what it means.  My TR3A has
lots of blowby, but only smokes at startup.

Randall