Re: positive or negative offset?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: positive or negative offset?
From: SDOliner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:25:57 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/2003 12:11:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
carcentric@yahoo.com writes:
But even if you consider the spacer + old wheel to be a "new wheel,"
the spacer will push the rim outward from the center of the car (and
from the wheel's mounting surface).  That's the NEGATIVE direction.
OK, now you have me confused too.
Doesn't a wheel with negative offset, mean that the centerline of the wheel
is inboard?
If so, putting a spacer behind the wheel, will move it outboard, thus
changing the offset towards positive?

It also seems to me that the really important dimension is the backspace.
This will let you know if the wheel will interfere with the suspension
components. My understanding of backspace is one half wheel width minus offset.
So minus
a minus offset will increase backspace.

David Oliner