RE: positive or negative offset?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: positive or negative offset?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:20:19 -0700
> Doesn't a wheel with negative offset, mean that the centerline of
> the wheel  is inboard?

Nope, that's backwards to the way most people use the term negative offset.

One thing that might help remember : "reverse" wheels have a negative offset

> It also seems to me that the really important dimension is the backspace.

Depends on what you're interested in.  To me, they're just two different
ways of measuring the same thing.

> My understanding of backspace is one half wheel width
> minus offset. So minus
> a minus offset will increase backspace.

Right.  Increasing the offset (ie making it more positive or "minus a
minus") will increase the backspacing.

Adding a spacer reduces both offset (making it more negative if it was
already negative), and backspacing.

TireRack's diagram might be a little clearer :
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Randall