Re: positive or negative offset?

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: positive or negative offset?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:26:02 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

>>This might help explain part of the argument about positive and
>>negative. Compomotive says:
>>
>>http://www.usacomp.com/Offset.htm
>

> Great.  No wonder we can't agree on the definition, even the wheel
> manufacturers can't get it straight!

> However, I believe the term "wheel offset" is defined by both SAE (Society
> of Automotive Engineers) and DIN (Deutsches Institut fur Normung); and they
> say Compomotive has it backwards.  Unfortunately I don't have a reference
> handy, does anyone else ?  It's supposedly in the SAE handbook, but I only
> have the Bosch one (which shows it in a diagram but doesn't specify which
> direction is positive).
>
> I did find a rather long winded thread that suggests the definition of
> offset has been changed :
> http://realbig.com/detomaso/1998-02/1319.html

And I misread his conclusion. That's what I get for not enough sleep.

But, with regard to the definition changing. I think you may be right, and for
this reason: CAD/CAM, in order to
standardize. Can't help it if the standardization is counter-intuitive....

Seems to me that the less confusing means of identification would be backspace.
With the overall rim width, one can
always calculate the mounting flange position from those two dimensions,
without having to resort to a seemingly
arbitrary definition.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.