Re: Leaky Brake Master

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky Brake Master
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:02:47 -0400
I'd like to stop an assumption that might be promoted by this response and
it's not intended as a criticism of Jim personally. That is not my style and
not proper for our list either. I suspect that Jim is repeating what he has
heard from someone else. The proper rubber seals do not swell when in
contact with brake fluid. Think about that, if they did so would all of the
seals in the cylinders. It is simply not so. Put them in gasoline or some
other fluid maybe they will swell.
My business is the molding of rubber parts for various applications and
specifications are written with their interaction with fluids taken into
consideration. In the case of rubber seals for brake applications the parts
are molded from materials compounded to resist swell in brake fluids.
If you have seals that are swelling in brake fluids then get your seals from
a better supplier cause you're on the way to a disaster.
JVV