RE: Leaky Brake Master

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaky Brake Master
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:01:53 -0700
> I'd like to stop an assumption that might be promoted by this response and
> it's not intended as a criticism of Jim personally.
<snip>
> The proper rubber seals do not swell when in
> contact with brake fluid.

Jerry, I don't mean this as a criticism either, but I disagree.  Brake fluid
deliberately has a small amount of 'seal sweller' added to it, which does
cause a controlled amount of swelling, primarily to compensate for normal
shrinkage over time but also for a small amount of wear.  One of the
criticisms of DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is that early formulations did not
have the seal sweller additive, causing the seals to leak prematurely.

Now whether the small amount of swelling is enough to stop the MC reservoir
leak as Jim suggests, I have no idea.  I had the same problem on my Stag,
but it stopped after I 'faced' the reservoir lightly by rubbing it on
sandpaper on a flat surface.  Could be that the O-rings were swelling at the
same time and that was the real reason it didn't leak, I just don't know.

Randall