Re: This was recently posted on FOT...

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: This was recently posted on FOT...
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:32:29 -0700
I had the  opportunity to drive one in 1958, at the time I  was in
Memphis, TN attending the Navy AT "A"  school...I  owned the original
Casper at the time (1957 TR3) and raced it  in some Club Races at
Halls, TN...in those days you just needed a helmet  and a seatbelt
to race...anyway I caught the attention of the Local Triumph dealer
and when the Berkleys showed up I was asked to drive one for a few
weekends to "show it off".  Which I did...as  I  remember it was
faster than I expected, power to weight was the clue, handled OK, but
had the tendency to lift the  inside rear wheel off the ground a
considerable distance in hard cornering.
I actually ran it in a couple of Gymkhana's  (that  is  a  version of
Autocross), Club events  and did pretty well.  Certainly not a
practical  car, very small,  but rather a lot of fun to drive as most
of the time  you could run flat out and not break too many speed
laws...

--
Bill  Pugh
1957 TR3