TR7 just quits?

To: "INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com" <TR250Driver@aol.com>
Subject: TR7 just quits?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:21:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net h9Q0Miws026658
Message text written by INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com
>Ugly, my 76 Victory Edition TR7 just quit running while on a run a few
weeks
ago. The tach went to zero but the radio was still blasting. I pulled her
the side of the road, took a depth breath, stuck my tongue out and tuned
the
key and she started right back up and I was once again on my way.  However,

since I was mouthing off about reliability and originally I can't let this
go.  I
am thinking that the original Lucas Opus electronic ignition is beginning
crap out like they are so well known to do or maybe the notoriously weak
ignition switch is shorting.  I had a guy work on the A/C a few months ago
and he
told me she would not start one time and later fired right up.
<

Darrell, even though the radio was still playing doesn't mean the problem
is not in the ignition switch. The contact that powers the radio is
different than the one that powers the othe switched loads.  Remember that
the key has a position that will play the radio alone and the next position
will power up the ignition along with the heater, wipers, reverse lamps,
etc.  It is possible that the keyswitch is at fault (or even the key turned
ever so slightly towards the off position).  When the car quit did you
notice if you had any gauges?  Heater fan?

Many years ago I had a coworker who drove a VW.  He also smoked a pipe.  He
told me one day he was driving along and started to clean his pipe with his
pipe cleaning tool that was on his key ring when his car died.  He soon
realized that his fiddling with the key ring caused his key to move to the
off position.

Also, my TR6 and my MG many years before had intermittant ignition
switches.  And ignition switches are easier to replace than the ignition
module..  Cheaper, too.

Dave Massey