RE: pity the poor mechanical idiot

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: pity the poor mechanical idiot
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:51:17 -0800
> I replaced spark plugs in my '62
> TR4 about a month or so ago (they were in the glove box when I
> got the car last Oct) and then the distributor cap and wires just
> last week to complete my attempt at a (unnecessary?) tune-up.
> There is an electronic (Petronix?) ignition so points and coil
> weren't replaced. It started running rough right after that, but
> was fine once it got on the road for a bit. But yesterday, it got
> so bad that it seems to be running on only three cylinders.

Andy, my suggestion would be to start by putting the old components back,
and seeing how it runs then.  It's not unheard-of for brand new components
to be bad, and this is an easy test.  You did check the gap on the spark
plugs, right ?

BTW, the coil is still a critical part of a Pertronix ignition, so it's
still a suspect.  They don't usually fail, but again it happens.  You also
didn't mention the rotor ...

Smell of gas and smoke sounds more like a carburetion problem ... have you
tried the "lift the piston" test ?  Which carbs do you have ?  What do the
plugs look like ?

Randall