Re: pity the poor mechanical idiot

To: "Andy Taylor" <ataylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pity the poor mechanical idiot
From: "Jeffery Howard" <nhoward442@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:49:44 -0500
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:33:16 -0500
  "Andy Taylor" <ataylor@mail.hrca.harvard.edu> wrote:
>Hi List-
>I rarely ask for help, generally from embarassment, but
>I'm anxious to solve this problem. I replaced spark plugs
>in my '62 TR4 about a month or so ago (they were in the
>glove box when I got the car last Oct) and then the
>distributor cap and wires just last week to complete my
>attempt at a (unnecessary?) tune-up. There is an
>electronic (Petronix?) ignition so points and coil
>weren't replaced. It started running rough right after
>that, but was fine once it got on the road for a bit. But
>yesterday, it got so bad that it seems to be running on
>only three cylinders. Is this the distributor cap and/or
>wires failing? Could the plugs need replacing again? All
>of the above? There is a distinct smell of gasoline and
>whitish smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Where does this
>incompetent mechanic start? Find someone more competent??
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>Andy Taylor
>Boston

Andy,
I would also suggest to do a compression check.  If you
had done one earlier you will have someting to go on.  If
not you will have to compare the pressure between
cylinders.

The other day my boys Spit started to blow white smoke and
smelled very strong of gas.  When we checked the CR, three
were good but one had dropped a great deal.  From 145 PSI
to about 50 PSI.  We pulled the engine and found that
piston to be bad.  The piston between the commpression
rings had failed.  If he had continued to drive it, the
ring could have rolled and lock the engine.

After we changed the piston he drove it and I guess the
head gasket failed to seal.  The piston next to the one we
replaced gave it up.  There was aluminum sprayed all in
the cylinder.  The piston had melted from the air blowing
into the chamber like a blow torch.

He now has a 1300 in his '80 Spit.  I'll rebuild the 1500
later.

Jeff Howard