Re: winter storage

To: <jmaher0343@bresnan.net>
Subject: Re: winter storage
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:56:03 -0500 tests=HTML_30_40,HTML_MESSAGE,USER_IN_WHITELIST version=2.55
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Joe,
    Ah, Cheyenne.  I've hitchhiked through there more than once, and once
drove a TR4 through on my way to San Francisco.  Ah, the 70s.
    Anyway, here's what I do...
    Test the antifreeze to make sure it will give adequate protection.
    Fill the petrol tank and add fuel stabilizer.
    Take one last fun ride.  Go to storage place.
    Change the oil.
    Pull the plugs, add a squirt of motor oil in each spark plug hole.  Spin
the engine over a few times to distribute the oil throughout the upper
cylinders.
    Remove the battery.
    Plug the exhaust pipe with something to keep the mice out, and leave a
note on the dash to remove the plug before you start it in the spring (when
you have forgotten about it.)
    Scatter a few mothballs around the interior and boot to discourage
critters.
    Put it up on jackstands.  I put them under the frame.  You could put them
under the suspension, but I don't think it makes much difference.
    Sometimes I let the tire pressure down a bit, perhaps to ~ 10 PSI
    Throw a cover on it, and sadly say goodbye until the spring.
    I've never had a problem in 5 years.

-Rick in Massachusetts
1973 Triumph TR6 CF2570U

>It looks like winter is about to arrive here in Cheyenne and my TR3 is ready
to go into hibernation.  This will be my first time storing a car for the