Re: ATV Jacks Revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ATV Jacks Revisited
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:02:32 -0800 (PST)
Here's an idea I've never tried, but might some day:
Step 1. Buy a set of four crank-style (or electric if you have mo'
money) camper jacks - they're usually bolted to the corners of a camper
so you can jack it up and drive the pickup out from under the camper.
Step 2. Build or have built a rectangular frame that the four jacks
would be bolted to (instead of to a camper) and gusset the corners so
it doesn't parallelogram on you.
Step 3. Hang chains from the frame to ground level.
Step 4. Connect the bottom ends of the chains to two strong
cross-beams.
Step 5. Slide the beams under the car (one right behind the front
wheels and one right in front of the rear wheels).
Step 6. Crank each corner a little in turn to lift the whole car, but
use jackstands to support it once it's at the height you want.

I bought a $1400 "low lift" hydraulic unit (lifts the car about
27")back when I was routinely dropping engines in/out of 914s, and it's
a great piece but heavy at 900 pounds.  Another way to go is the
12'-16' long inclined ramps you drive up on and then jack up the back
end (lifts the car about 12" but it's still on its wheels).  I've seen
the camper jacks on ebay for $100-300.  The cheapest alternative I know
of is this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42820
You could reach the differential from the rear of the car with its
length.

M D "Doc" Nugent