ATV Jacks Revisited

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ATV Jacks Revisited
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:19:20 -0500
I got an early X-mas present of a Sears Craftsman ATV / Motorcycle jack.

Unfortunately I had to take it back.

The thing is over 5.5" high when completely lowered.
That won't do I'm afraid.

I didn't even assemble it .. just put it back in the box.

I was also a little bit concerned when I looked at it because it didn't
appear that the rear swivel casters would actually support the weight
applied to them.
It looked more like there were supposed to be external supports to take the
heavy load instead of the casters.

Which would mean that under load, the jack wouldn't be free to roll around.

Not that I want to wheel it around with the jack . .but when lifting a car,
I prefer to have the jack roll up under the car as it is raised rather than
trying to pull the car over the jack.

Lifting only the front or rear wouldn't be a problem, but if you wanted to
lift the side, you'd be trying to drag the car sideways.
Also .. if you backed up onto some ramps and then when to lift the front end
. . .that would be bad.  You'd pull the car forward and it might roll down
the ramps.

So ends my consumer report.
I'm still on the lookout for a good / easy / cheap way to get a TR up high
in the air.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 Everyday
Reserve your room for the VTR 2004 Convention in Richmond soon.  It doesn't
cost anything, you can backout with no penalty if your plans change, and it
REALLY helps the host club plan better for the event.   See
www.richmondtriumphregister.com <http://www.richmondtriumphregister.com>
for details.