RE: ATV Jacks Revisited

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kai@radiohead.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ATV Jacks Revisited
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:01:43 -0500
I've looked at some of those jacks in the catalogs, and hefted one up in the
air myself at one point.  They are impressive jacks, no doubt.

Part of me really liked the layout of the ATV jacks though.
Assuming you can get one low enough .. they have a very large lifting area .
.or contact area with whatever you are trying to lift.

For instance the craftsman one that I had briefly had two padded "strips"
I'll call them, a couple inches wide by more than a foot long and probably
separated by about a foot too.

If it had low enough clearance . . I had envisioned myself backing the car
up on the ramps to get the tail in the air, then rolling the ATV jack under
the front and start pumpin.  I wouldn't have to get down on the floor and
work to make sure that the lifting saddle is making proper contact with the
chassis.

Same goes for lifting one side of the car . . .roll it under around the mid
point and start cranking . . . no bending and squatting and crawling to make
sure you've got it positioned correctly.  It would also be more likely to
hit the center of gravity between the front and the rear since you are
lifting across a foot (or more) wide part of the frame rail instead of a 3"
diameter spot.  I guess it would also distribute the load on the frame a
little more evenly.

That's enough typing for me for pre 8AM.   I think you get the idea of what
I was looking for in a product.

Thanks for the feedback / input though Kai.  Looks like you'll save some
jack shoppers a lot of time doing comparison shopping.

Scott Tilton