Re: + or - (reliability, safety)

To: oliver <oliver@connect.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: + or - (reliability, safety)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:29:01 -0700
oliver wrote:

>If these are not compelling, are there any other reasons for doing the
>conversion, such as for drivability, safety, reliability, etc???
>
>We've heard from all the converted; how about the unconverted????

If you drive your generator-equipped car through the winter, and your
commute
begins and ends with darkness, you'll either need to take a spirited
drive over lunch
or attach the car to a trickle charger to keep the battery charged.
 That falls under
'reliability' I guess.

 From a safety perspective, one evening this week I was driving back
from Boulder
to a south suburb of Denver on a road that runs along the foothills
(93).   During
the winter this road is sometimes closed due to blowing snow -- the
winds come
down from the foothills and create whiteouts and sometimes blow trucks
and cars
off the north-south road.  My own drive was two days after a snow storm
and the
winds were plenty strong.  With new Vredestein Snow+ tires I had no
trouble on
snowy patches but I was thinking that fog lights would sure help road
visibility
during the whiteout parts.  And they'd just fit in my Christmas
stocking.  An alternator
would let me run headlights, heater and fog lights one evening and still
start the car
easily the next morning.  Maybe next winter.

Photos of Vredestein Snow+ tires on my TR4; they're 165R15s and cost around
$70/tire locally:
    http://www.newellboys.com/trdriver/vredestein.html

--
Steven Newell