RE: + or - (reliability, safety)

Subject: RE: + or - (reliability, safety)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:13:48 -0800
Cc: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Randall,
>
> Ok if your amp calculations are correct why did the Lucas engineers
> deliver a generator that could not even keep up with the load? Is 19
> amps the best they could get? or was it a cost issue?

I see several reasons, small ones perhaps but IMO they add up.  First of
all, the US-mandated sealed beam headlamps draw more current than the home
market lamps.  Then too, the heater was an optional item (believe it or not,
my previous TR3A was delivered without one).  And, I think, in 1952 it was
not considered unreasonable to "charge the battery after a winter run" as
the owner's manual says, which of course does solve the problem.

The generator is a snug fit, both in length and diameter, especially on RHS
cars, and at least in 1952 I believe a larger capacity unit would also have
to be physically larger.  I believe the TR4 got a 21 amp unit that was
externally the same size, probably an improved design as a result of
pressure by car makers on Lucas.

> It has been posted on this list and other lists that feature Lucas
> electrics that both Standard Triumph and others would not pay for the
> premium or best that was available from Lucas.

While it's true that cars always have to be built to a price point (unless
you're Rolls Royce, and we all know what happened to them); I don't see the
TR2 generator selection as a cost issue.  Rather, the 'standard' generator
(used on most contemporary Triumphs, MGs and even some Jaguars I believe)
was considered "good enough", and engineering attention was focused more on
looks and dry weather performance than foul-weather drivability.  You could,
I suppose, call that a cost issue; legend has it that Sir John was extremely
tight-fisted with development money, and engineers certainly cost something.
I'm sure Jonmac will correct me here if I've got the wrong idea.

> Was or is there a generator that would fit on a TR3 that would produce
> more than 19 amps, maybe at least 25,

I don't know of one offhand, but I believe such a unit is out there, at
least for a LHS car where the generator can protrude into the space occupied
by the steering column on a RHS car.  Obviously anything is possible with
enough modification ... but why ?  An oversize generator is no more original
than an alternator ...

Randall