Re: + or-

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: + or-
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:15:55 EST
In a message dated 12/15/2003 8:44:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk writes:

> From: David Brister <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
> >
> >Some time ago a parts man told me the genuine OEM Lucas arms are the best
> >and almost never fail unless mechanically damaged in some way. They are'nt
> >easy to find.
>
> Hi Dave,
>   I understand Lucas no longer make the rotor arms we use....Genuine NOS
> Lucas are certeinly better quality, but never be tempted to pay a premium
for
> new Lucas rotor arms, you will be disappointed,

Having been a packrat most of my life, I don't think I ever threw out an old
Lucas rotor after replacing it with a new Lucas rotor. In the last couple of
years now of driving the Herald steadily, my packrattedness (?) has paid off.
Whatever rotor was on it when the previous owner sold me the car was well and
firmly stuck on the distributor shaft. When I finally was able to remove it
(with the aid of side-locking pliers and a rag to, er, "protect" it), it
crumbled
into a couple of useless pieces...after which an old Lucas rotor went on.
All's well ever since.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.