Re: TR6 Air Pump

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Air Pump
From: MTFIP1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:36:50 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave,

No corrosion exist on either the inner bore or hub.  A groove exists on the hub
a the location it hit the inner housing.  How would I go about taking apart the
hub to check the bearings near the vanes?

Thanks,
Mike

Message text written by INTERNET:MTFIP1@aol.com
>In the midst of caring for some coolant issues, my 76 TR6 developed a
sqeaking noise coming from the engine.  (It was fine prior to the coolant
issues, when it rains it pours I guess) So when I removed the air pump and
noticed the pulley turns rather stiff and emits the same type of squeak.
To further investigate I removed the 3 bolts and took it apart.  Of course
now that I have it in two pieces I don't know what exactly to do   Has
anyone rebuilt these before?  I know I can re-grease the bearings, but what
else. The drum hits the inside on the housing and is the cause of the
sqeaking on each rotation.  Does that need lubrication of some sort?
<

>>Mike, check the inner bore surfaces for corrosion and also check the hub in
which the vanes ride for corrosion.  These things will get stiff if they
sit idle a long time.  They should clean up with a light sanding.

Also did you check the bearings on the inside ends of the vanes themselves?

Dave