Re: TR6 Air Pump

To: "INTERNET:MTFIP1@aol.com" <MTFIP1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Air Pump
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:10:23 -0500
Cc: 105671.471@compuserve.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net hBHEFCGx030672
Message text written by INTERNET:MTFIP1@aol.com
>No corrosion exist on either the inner bore or hub.  A groove exists on
the hub a the location it hit the inner housing.  How would I go about
taking apart the hub to check the bearings near the vanes?
<

Um, I forget.  (it's been years since I took one apart so I am operating
from memory here)  There is a pin, probably mounted to the rear end plate,
that is offset from the center of rotation of the hub.  This pin will cause
the vanes to extend and retract as they rotate around with the hub.  If you
pulled the back plate off of the unit you may have pulled this pin from the
rotating mass.  Or if the hub and vanes came out with the back plate then
you should be able to pull the hub from the back plate and expose the
shaft.  But more than likely the shaft is fouled with accumulated dirt and
stuff but can be cleaned off if you spray it with penetrating oil.

But be forewarned, reassembly is tricky.  Getting everything lined up at
the same time with the tight accesses available is an exercize in patience.

Good luck

Dave