Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:40:37 -0600 6.0.3HF125 | November 26, 2003) at 12/17/2003 15:40:37, Serialize complete at 12/17/2003 15:40:37, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA1/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 12/17/2003 03:45:38 PM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA1/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 12/17/2003 03:45:40 PM, Serialize complete at 12/17/2003 03:45:40 PM
Cc: 105671.471@compuserve.com
>From a pure cost of fuel to operate-vs.-build standpoint, that may be
correct.  And I know that what I'm about to say wasn't the point of this
thread but, to me, the more important strike against old gas guzzlers as
every day transportion is 1) harmful emissions and 2) passenger safety.
(note that I am not targeting LBCs because they are so relatively rare
compared to the total population of cars on the road that their
contribution to the environment, harmful or not, is too insignificant to
reasonably measure).  On safety, new vehicles are far safer in an accident
than any vehicle that was built 20 or more years ago. I read an article
recently that had the results of insurance industry studies that showed
that collisions that would have likely led to fatalities 25 years ago are
now resulting in only minor injuries thanks to airbags, pre-designed
crumple zones, engines that drop out of the way instead of intruding on
the passenger compartment, etc.  I feel much better knowing the people I
love are riding in a newer car with airbags, antilock brakes,etc, than I
would with them battling traffic every day in a 25 year old anything.  On
the emissions point, everytime I get stuck in traffic behind a circa 1980
Buick, Ford, Chevy, etc, I can literally smell the unburned hydrocarbons
they are pouring out.  I'm not an enviro-nazi, and I don't want to ever
give up the right to drive my TR6 (even it's belching unburned
hydrocarbons).  But there are valid arguments for continuing engineering
improvements with cars.

Cheers, Greg Hutmacher