TR3A front wheel bearings

Subject: TR3A front wheel bearings
From: "Glenn Coughenour" <gecoughenour@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:32:49 -0500
I am assembling the front suspension on my 1959 TR3A.  Today I was installing
a new front bearing kit from TRF.  The manual says to tighten the stub axle
nut to 10 lb-ft, then back off by 1 1/2 to 2 flats to put in the split pin.  I
found the hole was inaccessible at that point and had to tighten to about 20
lb-ft to get the split pin into the hole.  Will that preload the bearing too
much?  Are the grease seals still too thick as Roger Williams comments in How
to Restore...?  Is there something else I should check?

Glenn C
1959 TR3A TS31684L [in total frame up restoration]
1960 TR3A TS64803L [driving, but needs work]