RE: TR3A front wheel bearings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A front wheel bearings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:38:38 -0800
> If I recall correctly ,these tapered roller bearings can take
> tremendous loads.
> 20 in-lb isn't a whole lot, so I think it might be OK....keep
> them well greased.
> Only one potential problem....heavily preloaded bearing will
> generate a lot of heat. Heat will cause some expansion thereby
> increasing preload slightly.

The front brakes can (and do) generate a lot of heat, some of which winds up
in the hub and can increase preload dramatically (since the spindle doesn't
get as hot).

Given the unpleasantry of having a wheel bearing fail, I would certainly
want to find out what the problem is and fix it, rather than just
eliminating all the factory-specified clearance and hoping for the best.
One way to find out if the seal is the problem is to simply remove the seal
and try again.

Randall