RE: TR3A front wheel bearings

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A front wheel bearings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:32:27 -0800
> What I would be worried about is
> 'burnelling :-\ ' [I think that's the term I want] the cup.

I believe you're thinking of "brinelling".

http://www.precisionspindle.com/brinelling.htm

I'm fairly certain that 20 ftlb would not cause brinelling, even if it was
being applied to the bearings.  But in this case, it appears it was not
being applied to the bearings at all, but the improperly seated seal.

I've not had a chance to research the question, but my theory is that early
seals were a simple felt ring, not bonded to a steel backing, and that the
instructions were for those felt rings.

In any case, it is definitely necessary to drift the steel backing into
place before trying to assemble the hub to the spindle.

Randall