RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:43:40 -0800
> What does "hang out there" mean for the top rubber seal?  Is it
> cut square
> against the cross section just above the top of the tenon plate?

I forgot to look just now, but I believe mine is cut at a slight angle, to
match the top of the stanchion.

> A question on rechroming:  There are some places on one stanchion
> where the
> metal is "gouged" a bit around one of the smaller screw holes
> along the side.
> Can this be filled or patched during the rechroming process, or
> should I look
> for another stanchion?

It should be possible to fill it, but be sure to discuss it in detail with
the shop doing the chrome.  If you don't say anything, or just tell them to
"fix it", they may simply grind down the stanchion to remove the gouge,
which is probably not what you want.

Since it is an extra step (that you should expect to pay more for), I would
definitely write it down (after discussing it with the shop).  Give them a
copy with the parts, keep a copy for yourself.  That will greatly reduce the
chances of an ex post facto debate over what you asked them to do.

Randall