Re: Extreme Conditions

To: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Subject: Re: Extreme Conditions
From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:15:52 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
The most memorable trip in my original TR3A was in Nov. 1965.  I ran the
Pan Am ralley from Downey to Ensenada, Mexico.  It was a 24 hour
navigational ralley.  My navigator disappeared the night the ralley
started and I had to run alone.  It covered a lot of the mountain roads
of southern Ca.   I had a ball.  Speeds of 90 - 100 were a common
occurance.   Drifting around corners was a standard.  There were maybe a
150 cars in this ralley.

I remember driving down the backside of Mexican 3 toward Ensenada doing
80 - 90 MPH and setting up a drift into a corner when I notice a Pontiac
Bonniville, full of drunk Mexicans, coming uphill doing a similar
thing.  I momentarily closed my eyes.  When I didn't hear any crash I
opened them again to find my line was correct and finished the turn.
--
        Best Regards,
        Tom