Re: =====NON-LBC==============

To: "Chuck Lattimer" <clattimer@worldnet.att.net>, "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: =====NON-LBC==============
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:27:08 -0500
Ain't that the truth! When I was late teens, early twenties, I had the
requisite Firebird(Ok, so it was an 82 with a 4 cylinder!) and I had a
friend who was the other half of nuts that I am... Anyway, we were driving
down what is still(amazingly) a reasonably rural road between Fort Dix and
Medford. Well, due to the snow and winds, we had nice snow covered fields-
with drifted areas of road coverage between nice clear areas. So, as we
drove, I would hit the snow and hit the brakes quickly - fishtailing it a
bit, and then straighten it back out. Well the last one we did differently.
As we started fishtailing, my friend yelled to "Gun it", so I tromped the
accelerator, and we reversed the swing of the fishtail, and went completely
180, zipping backwards into the field next to the road at about 50. A couple
passing drivers were kind enough to help us push it back onto the road, and
we ceased experimentation for the day...(no damage done!)Many years later,
in a full size 1985 Impala, I was driving down a similar road, in similar
conditions(but no goofing), when she slid out perpendicular to my direction
of travel. From those previous recoveries, I automatically started
correcting- and did several swings back and forth, of lessening degree each
time, until she finally straightened out. Another friend was with me, and
his 5 year old piped up from the back "That was FUN! Let's do it AGAIN!" I
just told him when he's 18, he can give it a try. The recovery has become
automatic for me- anytime I feel my car breaking loose on slick roadway, I
have her back in milliseconds. All because I was a quasi reckless teen once.

Scott