RE: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:11:11 -0800
> Is it
> possible to replace the seal without withdrawing the axle and
> differential from
> the car?

With care, yes.  You'll need something to pry the seal out, ISTR I couldn't
find room to swing the usual seal pry bar and so used a screwdriver of some
sort.  It's fairly tight quarters between the pinion shaft and the seal.
You're not likely to damage the shaft, but use a little care for the lip of
the housing.  Mine has a chip out of it ...

>  Any tips for how to get this job done efficiently, or
> things to look for?

Inspect the sealing surface of the flange.  If you can't polish out all of
the marks where the old seal rode, consider installing a Speedi-sleeve (or
just getting another flange).

Randall