Re: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential

To: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>, "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential
From: "Glenn Coughenour" <gecoughenour@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:23:44 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
A while ago, Graham Stretch gave the following instructions:

One method of removal / replacement is to centre pop the nut and shaft at an
adjacent point, undo counting the turns, be very careful as you approach the
end of the thread to ensure you know the fractions of a turn involved,
change the seal and then replace the nut counting the fractions of turn
first then the whole turns to the final point, once tightened so the centre
pops line up the preload should be correct (as prior to removal).

I followed this method with good success.  I did use a torque wrench to
check the preload and found it almost dead-on.

Glenn C
1959 TR3A TS31684L [in total frame up restoration]
1960 TR3A TS64803L [driving, but needs work]