Re: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential

To: Jeff Tedder <jtedder68@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Pinion Seal in Differential
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:24:37 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff Tedder wrote:

> List,
>
> Just wondering how you can get the torque you need on the castellated
> nut when you put the diff. flange back on under the car after you
> replace the oil seal - it's hard enough to get 80 lbs on the head bolts
> when they're out on top of everything!

I get the parking brake on as tightly as I can, and then put a large pipe
wrench on the flange. That immobilizes the
flange, and therefore, the pinion. With the rear on jack stands, the car can't
go anywhere, and with enough height,
there's enough room to swing a goodly-sized torque wrench. It can be done.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.