Re: TR4 backing plate position

To: "Geo Hahn" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 backing plate position
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:40:28 -0500
I didn't fully understand the question either but that's not altogether
important. What is important is to get an answer back to the question. All
of this has prompted me to look at my TR4 Factory Manual. I now think I
understand the question. There have been some smart responses to the person
who asked the question and they are out of line. Geo Hahn's response is not
one of them.

Page 3-208 figure 10 shows the cylinders at 8 o'clock on the left side which
on the right (or opposite hand) would be 4 o'clock. The next page 3-209
would show them to be at 12 o'clock so maybe that's the confusion. I think
what clears this up would be the emergency brake levers and where the cables
attach.  Figure 12 (photo) looks to show the cables coming in just above the
springs but below the centerline of the axle. That would then correspond
with 8 o'clock on the left and 4 o'clock on the right.  All of this is
further supported by page 3-210 and the figure 13 details of the emergency
brake linkage.

Russ. The cylinders are placed at 8 on the left and 4 on the right. Bleeder
nipples will point up in both situations making them the highest point which
is also logical.

All of this assumes it's a TR4 solid axle car or a TR4A which may or may not
be the same due to a different emergency brake cable arrangement. IRS TR
4A's are different and have the cylinders located at 12 o'clock.

Don't leave the list over this issue.

JVV